Thinking of Employing an Apprentice?
NWTC have been training apprentices for over 49 years. We currently have learners in Plumbing, Engineering and Electrical. These learners already have the basic skills and are enthusiastic and ready for employment as an apprentice with your company.
We also have an intake of Construction, Engineering and Business Administration apprentices in September, so whatever type of apprentice you’re looking for, we can help.
Why should I employ an apprentice?
Taking on an apprentice can be a boost to your company, injecting new life and skills into your business. Because most of the training takes place at work, an apprentice will learn how your company works and will develop the specific skills that you need, meaning they can make an early contribution to your operations.
Apprentices are the workforce of the future. Without the opportunity to train, would you be where you are today? By offering an apprenticeship you’re giving a young person a future in skilled employment, and helping to build your business for the coming years.
How will my apprentice be trained?
Your apprentice will attend our training centre one day per week, spending the remainder of the week working for you. They will gain an NVQ Level 2 or 3 along with the relevant technical certificates and valuable hands on experience.
How much will it cost me?
If you take on a 16-18 year old apprentice, you won’t have to pay towards the cost of their training as this is funded by the Government. If you take on a 19+ apprentice you will be expected to contribute towards the cost of their training.
The minimum wage that you must pay your apprentice is £2.65 per hour, minimum 30 hours per week, but the most attractive apprenticeships tend to attract the best candidates, so you may want to make your offer a little more competitive.
What do I need to do to get started?
We provide a comprehensive free of charge recruitment service to help find you the right apprentice for your business.
- Call our Employer Engagement Team on 0151 523 0808 and let us know you are considering employing an apprentice.
- You will be contacted by our recruitment officer to find out more about your vacancy and what you require from your apprentice.
- We will provide you with details of our most suitable candidates (all of whom will have been pre-interviewed and tested).
- We will arrange any interviews you wish to undertake, or can arrange a trial period.
- You decide if you would like to employ the apprentice, but are under no obligation to do so.