You are here - Home
Floor Covering Apprenticeships normally last for two years during which time you will attend our Training Centre one full week every 4 weeks. The remainder of your time will be spent with your employer. NWTC will monitor your apprenticeship on a regular basis to ensure you complete your National Vocational Qualification (N.V.Q) Level 2, Technical Certificate and Key Skills, which will lead to a Certificate of Apprenticeship.
During the apprenticeship the company, which employs you, would normally pay you a percentage of the skilled persons rate for each year of training.
An Apprenticeship combines the skills acquired on-the-job with knowledge and understanding of how and why.
Students usually complete this Apprenticeship within 24 months and gian:
- NVQ Level 2 in Floor Covering (impervious or domestic)
- Diploma in Floor Covering
- Key Skills Level 1 in communication and application of numbers
- Employment Rights and Responsibilities (ERR)
The Apprenticeship covers topics such as:
- Setting out to receive floor coverings, for example tiles or sheet in either textile or impervious
- Sub floor preparation, for example cementious screeds, plywood, damp proof treatments and remedial repairs
- Installation of floor coverings (impervious and textile), for example carpets, vinyl sheet and tiles
- Conforming to general workplace safety, for example being safe on site and understanding notices adn signs displayed within the workplace
- Developing customer relationships, lear how to communicate in a way that shows confidence and provide a professional service to your client or customer
- Moving and handling resources, correct use of lifting equipment, use of mechanical tools, etc
Whilst training with NWTC, apprentices have access to a wide range of support to help them achieve their qualifications.
During the apprenticeship the company which employs you woud normally pay you a percentage of the skilled persons rate for each year of training.
January to August. Most apprenticeships commence in September of each year.
How to Apply
Application Forms are available from schools, Connexions or direct from NWTC using the online application form.
You should have or hope to gain Grade D or above in GCSE Maths, Engligh, Science and a Technical subject.
You will first attend a selection test at NWTC.
If you obtain the necessary grade in the Selection Test you will be invited to attend an interview with one of our Training Officers. Some evidence of practical ability and an interest in Floor Covering would be an advantage.
Copmany Interviews are then arranged for the most suitable applicants.
Applicants chosen for employment by the company will normally start in September.