Floor Covering Apprenticeships normally last for two years during which time you will attend our Training Centre one full week every 4 weeks. The remainder of your time will be spent with your employer. NWTC will monitor your apprenticeship on a regular basis to ensure you complete your National Vocational Qualification (N.V.Q) Level 2, Technical Certificate and Functional Skills, which will lead to a Certificate of Apprenticeship.
Apprentices will gain experience and knowledge in the following Floor laying skills:
- Setting out to receive floor coverings, for example tiles or sheet in either textile or impervious
- Sub floor preparation, for example cementious screeds, plywood, damp proof treatments and remedial repairs
- Installation of floor coverings (impervious and textile), for example carpets, vinyl sheet and tiles
- Conforming to general workplace safety, for example being safe on site and understanding notices and signs displayed within the workplace
- Developing customer relationships, learn how to communicate in a way that shows confidence and provide a professional service to your client or customer
- Moving and handling resources, correct use of lifting equipment, use of mechanical tools, etc
Whilst training with NWTC, apprentices have access to a wide range of support to help them achieve their qualifications.
Like all employees, apprentices must still receive a wage. The National Minimum Wage for apprentices is £2.68 per hour. However, as skills develop, many employers tend to increase wages
February to August. Most apprenticeships commence in September of each year.
How to Apply
You can register your interest in being considered for an apprenticeship, direct via our website, click on Register Now and fill in our form, include as much details about yourself as you can at this stage.
For more details on this you can contact recruitment on 0151 522 6836.
You should have or hope to gain Grade C or above in GCSE Maths, English, Science and a Technical subject or equivalent.
If your registration of interest is progressed you will be invited to attend our Initial Recruitment Selection Test.
If you obtain qualifying results in the NWTC Initial Recruitment Selection Test you will be invited to attend an interview with one of the recruitment team at NWTC. Some evidence of practical ability and an interest in Floor laying would be advantageous.
On successful completion of the above elements, company interviews are then arranged for the most suitable applicants.
Applicants chosen for employment by the company will normally start in September